Monday, September 3, 2007

Cop Rock Was the Awesomest Show Ever

I think we can all agree that Flight of the Conchords is a wonderful show -- sweet, hilarious, and 100% Australian-free. Sadly, though, its last episode of the season just aired -- we haven't watched it yet, but I'm already dreading it being over (at least for a few months). No more Hiphopopotamus, David Bowie, or Murray "Ginger Balls" Hewitt, the band's hapless manager/Derren Brown lookalike.

Luckily, we still have Cop Rock. Cop Rock, if you're not an aficianado of early-90s musical cop shows, didn't even last one season, but oh, what a legacy it has. It was basically Hill Street Blues meets Phantom of the Opera, with all the sublime ridiculousness that implies. Wheras Flight of the Conchords is a comedy interspersed with funny musical interludes, Cop Rock was a drama interspersed with criminals singing show tunes about how much they love smack. I'd heard about it for years, always as a punchline, but only a few weeks ago did I think to look it up on YouTube. Oh mighty YouTube, is there no long-buried crap that you cannot uncover in a four-minute clip? No. No, there is not.

This show really has to be seen to be believed. I give you: "Baby Merchant".



And: "Let's Be Careful Out There".



I don't even know what I could possibly say about these that could be funnier than actually watching them. All I know is that this show must come out on DVD immediately, so that I can own it and treasure it and play it anytime I'm feeling a little low and need an injection of baby merchandise. What idiot cancelled this show? It is one of the best things ever created.

No comments:

Post a Comment