Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Olympic Sights and Follies

There are some interesting and delightful things happening around the city. At a Blenheim Street round-about I came across this Olympic display.

Near the Shaw Tower, two containers have been converted into a small video theatre. While I'm not overly impressed with their exterior design, I like the fact that the re-use potential of containers is being showcased, and the display is partly powered by photo-voltaics.

I was also intrigued by the graphic film that has been installed on portions of Robson Square. It looks just like paint. While Arthur Erickson is probably spinning in his grave, I like the treatment to the step risers, and am intrigued by the possibilities of this product.But I don't like the screens placed across the front of the Art Gallery. I think the concept is clever, and while I suspect the intention was to be provocative, this strikes me as a lost opportunity. (Having got to know many of the curators at the VAG during the 8 years I served as a VAG Trustee, I'm sure they feel they have probably succeeded if people like me don't like the installation!)I do like what they have done with Pacific Centre!

And as for converting the Vancouver Club into the Olympic Club, well, the one million dollars that the club received will go a long way!

No comments:

Post a Comment