Friday, May 2, 2008

I'm Suffering From Poll Addiction

Yes, it's another goddamn poll, and it's a nerdy one again. I can't stop myself! Blame Iron Man. Following its preview release yesterday, the whole world has gone exo-skeleton crazy. According to Rotten Tomatoes, it's the best reviewed film of the year so far, which boggles the mind. Whether moviegoers will boycott the movie following the shocking news that Jon Favreau was horribly sceptical over Gwyneth Paltrow's on set injury is something we will find out over the long weekend. It's alright for him. Does he have to wax his legs? I don't think so. [Disclaimer: speaking solely for this third of Shades of Caruso, I'm a fan of both Favreau and, yes, controversially, the widely disliked Paltrow, who I think is talented and y'all jus jellus. I have no opinion about Chris Martin, though. Other than that he needs a drastic haircut and shave.]

I'm really hoping this turns out to be the movie that shuts people up about Robert Downey Jr.'s talent. In a perfect world he would be earning the same plaudits and $$$s that Johnny Depp does, and yet before this weekend there has been some doubt over his abilities, possibly because of his reputation as a drug-absorbing disaster area. His casting as Tony Stark seemed to cause some consternation among the fans, which baffles me. I can't think of anyone else who is more suited to the role (well, other than Ghostface Killah, obviously), and early reports about his performance seem to show popular opinion has moved in that direction. Yay! He's talented, he's smart, he's funny, he's charming, and he's hott. Get in line, people!


Plus, now that he's sorted his shit out and seems to have accepted that his notorious hellraising was not on, he's just fully en-awesomed. This is his weekend to bask in critical acclaim and hopefully public acceptance of such magnitude that it crushes Made Of Honour, starring that charmless shyster Patrick "Damp"sey, aka Dr. Drake Remoray sans laughs. However, if people are offended by Downey Jr.'s Tropic Thunder performance (which I'm staying agnostic on until I've seen the film, though it is something that makes me uncomfortable), it could be short-lived. Let's hope it works out. We need more awesome movie stars. (More than we need food or water!!!)

Anyway, enough about that. This here is a poll announcement. What is your favourite superhero casting of the last few years? I'm going to go with the most recent incarnations of these characters, so apologies for not including Christopher Reeve as Superman. That was a sad loss, but I didn't want to clog up the selection with multiple Batmen. Also, I've chosen to ignore all of the X-Men who are not equipped with deadly sideburns, or members of the Fantastic Four that don't have outrageous pecs, again for brevity's sake. Now vote! BTW, next poll won't be nerdy. I promise. Shades of Caruso has other interests, you'll be amazed to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment