Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Introducing The Wahlberg Awards

I recently wrote about forthcoming summer movies, many of which were high on my own list of highly anticipated events though I foolishly missed off the Ferrell/McKay comedy Step Brothers. That should be a punishable offence, though it's nowhere near as egregious a sin as releasing it in the UK two months after the US GAH!

Anyway, since then I have been haunted by an image from the trailer for M. Night Shyamalan's It's My Happening, Baby, And It Freaks Me Out (as Canyon has retitled it). If you're a regular reader, you know the one.


It definitely ruins that trailer, and I'm looking forward to seeing it on the big screen, in the hope that the audience will react in the same way. That said, it struck me that Mark Wahlberg has an amazing face for selling "OH SHIT!" moments, and it occurred to me that I need to lavish praise on those moments in film in which an actor memorably conveys the feeling of pooping their pants with shock and sudden realisation. And so, I present to you the inaugural Wahlberg Award, for Best Response To Global Ecological Catastrophe.



The statuette's in the post, Marky Mark. Okay, it's not an Academy Award, but it's better than not winning one for The Departed and then having to put up with Ellen DeGeneres trying to involve you in an unfunny joke during the Oscar broadcast last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment